There are many scholarships in Canada for international students, as it has some of the top universities in the world. These universities in Canada for international students have competent courses and on-campus facilities, attracting foreigners to apply for scholarships in Canada.
If you want to know how to get a scholarship to study in Canada, keep reading this article to know everything about scholarships in Canada for international students.
Study in Canada as International Student
If you are interested to be a Canadian international student, you can do so by applying for a Study Permit. A study permit allows temporary residency in the country for a fixed period of time, during which you can study and work in Canada. There are many ways to get a study permit and an impressive range of universities in Canada for international students to choose from. Students also have the option of extending the study permit is required.
These scholarships in Canada are offered at designated learning institutions (DLI). A study permit is not a visa, which is needed separately depending on your country of origin. After obtaining a study permit, the international students are then supposed to apply for a Visitor Visa or eTA (electronic travel authorization).
Nationals of India, Pakistan, China, Morocco, Vietnam, the Philippines and Senegal can also apply for study permits faster through the student direct stream specifically designed for these countries. Study permits are valid for the course of your study program, along with additional 90 days to apply for the extension or prepare to leave.
Scholarships in Canada
There is a wide range of scholarships in Canada, both for undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Lester B. Pearson International offers scholarships in Canada for international students at the University of Toronto.
- University of British Columbia has competent Canadian scholarships for international students, devoting over $10million CAD every year for scholarships in Canada and other forms of financial aid.
- York University International Student Scholarship Program offer scholarships in Canada worth $60,000 – $100,000 for a complete four-year degree.
- Humber College International Entrance Scholarships offer renewable partial and full-tuition scholarships in Canada with new sessions every September and January.
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships offer undergraduate Canadian scholarships for international students at the University of Calgary.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are specially designed for postgrad programs such as MA, Ph.D., or MD.
- University of Waterloo Master-s Awards of Excellence is also a great option for masters.
Canadian Scholarships for International Students
For those who exhibit exceptional academic achievements and skills, there are many scholarships in Canada for international students. There are certain eligibility criteria that have to be met in order to be a Canadian international student.
These scholarships in Canada for international students cover their books, tuition, incidental fees and full residence. Depending on the university you apply for, you can get full or partial scholarships. Some of the scholarships in Canada for international students are as follows.
- Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award from the University of British Columbia that offers bachelor’s degree.
- Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award at the University of British Columbia.
- International Undergraduate Student Bursary from University of Manitoba.
- University of Ottawa President and Chancellor’s scholarships form University of Ottawa.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship from the Province of Ontario and University of Toronto.
How to Get a Scholarship to Study in Canada
Canadian scholarships for international students is an easy and cost-effective way to study in Canada for students who have promise and expertise. There are many post-secondary institutions as well as government-approved institutes for graduate and postgraduate programs for international students.
These institutes offer financial aid, bursaries, grants and awards to international students. The package and eligibility requirements differ from scholarship to scholarship, but most rely on the students’ creative skills, academic performance and extracurricular achievements. Almost all institutes require a valid Canadian study permit which should be applied for before travelling to Canada.
For many students, the Study Permit is the beginning of the road to permanent residency in Canada. If you are thinking about immigrating to Canada, you may check your eligibility online by following the link below.
Canada is a great place to study for your graduate or postgraduate degree. It has some of the top universities in the world with advanced courses and programs that have a lot of scopes and offer a brighter future for international students. Studying in Canada on a work permit also boosts the chance of applying for permanent residency as you get Canadian experience which adds points to your immigration application.
Students are allowed to work on their study permit as well so that they can get Canadian work experience and also survey the market. The flexibility of a study permit with room for extensions, leaves, and re-applying as per your convenience makes it a very attractive option for international students.
To make sure you have all the documents in check, you might use the help of an RCIC. This way, the process will be quicker and smoother.