Quebec has always been a preferred destination for the immigration of skilled workers. If you have got the right education, training, work experience and meet other eligibility, you can easily become a permanent resident of Canada and live and work under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP).
An overview of QSWP
Looking to immigrate to Quebec and live there as a skilled worker? You cannot apply through immigration streams like Federal Skilled Worker or Canadian Experience Class. Instead, you need to apply through Quebec’s own Skilled Worker Program.
Under Quebec Skilled Worker Program, you will be able to take advantage of all the benefits of a Canadian citizen like free healthcare and government initiatives. You can also relocate with your spouse and family and even use spousal credentials on your application. But you have to wait till you become a citizen to exercise your voting rights.
Note: if you are looking to utilize the QSWP, we recommend you to waste no time as Quebec has decided to decrease the number of immigrants under the program. In 2019, the province accepted 41% fewer skilled workers compared to 2018.
Why Should You Consider the QSWP?
Even though it might be hard to utilize the QSWP this time, the program has lots of benefits.
The program enables skilled workers to come and work in Quebec. You can also bring your family and apply for permanent residency once you get your CSQ. The program is easy to apply and the process is also hassle-free.
Also, the program has less strict eligibility criteria compared to the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program. You may also migrate to Quebec without a valid job offer.
Skilled workers who meet the eligibility are given a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ), which they can use to apply for permanent residency. You can apply if you are a:
- Skilled Worker from any country
- Temporary resident of Quebec
- International student studying in Quebec
- Legal, full-time worker in Quebec
You may also check your eligibility online:
You will need to satisfy the minimum eligibility we discuss in the “Requirements” part of the article below. Then visit the Arrima portal to create an expression of interest with details like educational qualifications, work experience, age, and so on. After that, the authorities will evaluate your credentials and award you points.
In order to qualify for CSQ, you need to score 50 points as a single applicant. If you are applying with a spouse or common-law partner, you will need 59 points to qualify. Here is the distribution of points:
|Education||14 (cut-off is 2 points)|
|Area Of Training||12|
|Validated Job Offer||14|
|Spouse / Common-law partner||17|
The immigration officials will choose the applicants with top scores for the QSWP program.
Requirements for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program
Your eligibility for QSWP will be determined based on 9 factors. The authorities will consider these factors to determine if you will be able to flourish economically and culturally in Quebec.
The minimum requirements are as follows:
Educational Qualifications for the QSWP
A minimum of a secondary school general diploma is needed to apply for QSWP.
You need to attain a degree within five years prior to applying for QSWP. Else, you need work experience of 12 months in a field directly related to your education within five years prior to your application.
Language Skills for the QSWP
You may need to take additional tests to prove your language skills under QSWP. French is the preferred language and has more weight compared to English when it comes to proving your language proficiency. You may need to take a language proficiency test from recognized institutions.
- The Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF)
- Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF)
- Test de français international (TFI)
- Test d’Evaluation du Français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Proof of Funds for the QSWP
You need to have sufficient funds to support yourself in Quebec. The amount is determined based on the number of family members and their ages.
Work Experience for the QSWP
You can use your work experience to gather more points on your QSWP application. Your work experience must be within five years prior to applying for the immigration program.
Unlike FSW, there is no eligible list of occupations for QSWP.
You don’t need a valid job offer from any Quebec employer to take advantage of the QSWP. But having a job offer does add to your points.
You must be 18-years of age to apply for QSWP.
You may have some preference if you have a family or spent some time in Quebec.
You can use your spouse’s credentials to add weight to your application and score extra points. Spousal credentials can include education, language skills, age, and more.
You can add more points to your application if you bring your children over.
You may also check your eligibility online:
QSWP Predictions – 2021 and Beyond
Though the government of Quebec is planning to reduce immigration, businesses are pushing the government to allow 60,000 people a year to meet labor shortages. The government plans to increase the immigration numbers to 52,500 skilled workers in 2022.
Another study also recommended the Quebec government to raise the number of immigrations.
Why QSWP is an ideal way into Quebec?
QSWP is one of the best ways to get PR in Canada. If you are selected, you will receive the CSQ, after which you can apply for permanent residency.
Why QSWP is an ideal way into Quebec?
- No job offer required: You don’t need a job offer from a Canadian employer to apply. Just meeting the eligibility allow you to apply for PR.
- No need to study in Canada: You also don’t need a degree from Canadian University or college. But international students and graduates in Canada can also apply for QSWP.
- Apply from home country: You don’t need to travel to Quebec to apply. You can create your expression of interest online from your home country.
- Simple and easy: You don’t need to go through any complication to apply for QSWP. The process starts with a simple online expression of interest and then you get the CSQ if you qualify.
How to Find Skilled Worker Jobs in Quebec
Though a job offer is not necessary to qualify for QSWP, having one increases your chances of being eligible.
- Look if the Canadian Job Bank has any openings
- Search for government jobs in Quebec
- Seek help from your local Quebec Service Canada Centre
- Visit websites of Canada’s top 100 employers to look for vacancies
- Ask employers and companies directly if they have any openings
- Create your own network and search for jobs on LinkedIn
- Browse online job portals
- Search for jobs in Google- for example, “Psychologists job in Quebec”
- Approach recruitment agencies and immigration services and ask for references or openings
- Consult your family, friends, or peers living in Quebec
- Seek a transfer to Quebec if your current employer has branches in the province
Assistance from RCIC Agent
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) help can streamline and expedite your Quebec Skilled Worker Program Visa process. The licensed individuals stay on top of all requirements and regulations so that your application has the highest chances of being accepted. You can also save your effort and time on lengthy paperwork, which will be handled by the RCIC agent. The agents will also coordinate with immigration officials on your behalf and come up with a tailored immigration strategy for optimum results.
Having a professional immigration expert by your side will help you sail through the immigration process. Are you excited?
QSWP: Most Asked Questions
So you have decided that the QSWP is something that can work for you. Here we have answered some of the questions you may have related to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
After your QSC is approved, you can apply for permanent residency within 60 days.
You can speed up the process by:
- Ensuring all your information is complete and accurate
- Cooperating with Quebec immigration to make verification quicker and easier
- Preparing all fees and documents in advance
Passport and travel documents: It may take a month to get your passport if you are a new applicant.
Language test results: You may need two to three months to get your results. Results are generally valid for 2 years.
Educational qualifications: You need to submit certified true copies of your educational qualifications. It may take one or two months to get them certified.
Quebec job offer: You can try to get a job offer to strengthen your QSWP application.
Medical reports: You and your family members may need to undergo medical exams while applying for permanent residency. It may take a few weeks to get the reports.
Police certificates: Police verification can take a few weeks, but you can approach a Passport Seva Kendra to expedite the process.
- Arranging the required documents in advance
- Taking language tests while there is time
- Approach the police or Passport Seva Kendra at the earliest for verification
- Paying all fees in a timely manner
Upgrading your educational degrees and diplomas (Master’s degree adds 12 points while Ph.D. gets you 14 points)
- Getting training in chosen areas (can add up to 12 points)
- Having more work experience (the more years of experience, more are the points)
- Scoring high or retaking your language tests
- Using Quebec connection (time spent in the province, having family or friends)
- Taking advantage of spousal credentials (education, training, language proficiency)
- Having a valid job offer from a Quebec employer (adds a maximum of 10 points)
- Having accompanying children
The number is expected to increase over the years, allowing 52,500 people to take advantage of QSWP in 2022.