While Yukon is a small province, it has a large city – Whitehorse, which is also its capital. With a cozy small-town feel and ever thriving and increasing job and investment opportunities, Whitehorse attracts skilled workers and entrepreneurs to apply through Yukon PNP (YNP) for permanent residency.
About Yukon Province
The small communities dispersed throughout the territory with a major concentration in Whitehorse take pride in their rich mining history, snowy whimsical landscapes, and glimmering glacier-filled lakes.
Besides a milder, tolerable climate and picturesque landscape, Whitehorse is also the cleanest city that holds the record of being the least affected city in the world from air pollution.
Even though the notorious Klondike gold rush that took over the territory in 1890s is long gone, the economy hasn’t plummeted as much, and profitable opportunities for investment and employment are widely available.
The government is actively involved in generating new opportunities with a thriving tourism industry that forms the bulk of economy in the territory
Mining is still a viable sector, followed by the raw material industry, printing and publishing, wood, chemicals, food products, and non-metallic mineral products forming the bulk of its manufacturing sector.
Keep reading to know more about the lovely territory of Yukon, and how to avail the Yukon provincial nominee program to settle in the “Land of the Midnight Sun”. You may also start by checking your eligibility for immigration:
What is YNP or Yukon PNP?
Yukon Nominee Program or YNP is essentially a provincial nominee program (PNP) through which skilled workers, investors, and businessmen can immigrate to the territory and become permanent residents of Canada.
YNP makes use of several streams specifically tailored for individuals with particular skill sets or experiences that can contribute towards the growth and flourishment of Yukon’s economy.
The labor market of Yukon is in absolute need of foreign nationals to fill up the positions of skilled, semi-skilled, and low-skill worker class.
For those who enjoy a slow and easy-going pace of life, Yukon offers a wonderful opportunity for settlement and professional growth without facing cutthroat competition as can be seen with other urbanized areas of Canada.
Yukon PNP Eligibility & Rules
The Yukon provincial nominee program or YNP offers a collection of programs for foreign nationals. However, there are some requirements for Yukon PNP that apply to all of the 5 YNP streams.
General Yukon PNP Requirements:
- Willingness to stay in Yukon and actively contribute towards its economy.
- Follow all the federal and territorial laws and regulations.
- Proof of sufficient funds for settlement of the principal applicant along with a spouse or common-law partner and/or kids.
- Proficiency in English or French demonstrated through one of the accepted language tests.
- Medical certificate and police records with no past criminal or immigration offense.
- Required documents and verified degrees, diplomas, and certifications.
Yukon PNP Programs:
- Yukon Express Entry
- Yukon Skilled Worker
- Yukon Critical Impact Worker
- Yukon Business Nominee
- Yukon Community Pilot
Yukon PNP Streams
All five streams are working efficiently. You may learn about all of them to see which one fits your background and goals better.
Yukon Express Entry
In conjunction with the federal express entry Canada, YNP accelerates the selection process and boosts the profile of candidates who qualify for Yukon provincial nominee program. Those who have an active profile in the express entry pool and also meet the requirements for Yukon immigration through one of its PNP programs get additional 600 points added to their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scores, guaranteeing an ITA (invitation to apply) from the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada).
One of the most common pathways of Yukon immigration is via express entry. YNP boosts the scores of the candidates in the express entry pool and guarantees an ITA.
- Valid and active express entry profile in the online IRCC portal.Job offer from a Yukon employer.
- Minimum high school diploma with at least one year of full-time work experience as a skilled worker for Federal Skilled Worker. National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A or B and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 7 also required for Federal Skilled Worker category of express entry.
- Canadian Experience Class requires at least one year of work experience of a full-time Canadian job within the last three years. NOC Skill level of 0, A or B and CLB level of 7 for NOC 0 or A, and CLB 5 for NOC B required with no minimal requirement of education.
- Federal Skilled Trades requires minimum work experience of 2 years on a full time job in the skilled trade sector. A job offer to work in the same field must also be acquired prior to YNP application, or a certificate of qualification issued by a Canadian authority within the skilled trade. A CLB of 5 in speaking and listening and CLB of 4 for writing and reading is also required.
Yukon Skilled Worker
Individuals with a particular set of skills, educational degree and/or work experience along with an authentic job offer from an employer in Yukon can immigrate through this Yukon PNP program.
This YNP stream is specifically designed to fill vital labor gaps in the territory’s workforce and strengthen its major economic sectors. Skilled foreign nationals are invited to apply through this program.
- An authentic job offer from a Yukon employer.
- Language proficiency of CLB 7 for NOC 0 and A, and CLB 5 for NOC B.
- At least a high school diploma.
- One year of work experience in the relevant sector.
- Full time and permanent position must be offered.
Yukon Critical Impact Worker
Semi-skilled workers that qualify for a position in Yukon and have an authentic job offer from a Yukon employer can avail this program for YNP.
This YNP stream gives opportunities to those who are semi-skilled or low-skilled and seeking permanent residency in Yukon. The employers can hire foreign nationals if they can’t find a citizen or permanent resident to fill the particular position.
- An authentic job offer from a Yukon employer.
- CLB score of 4 in one of the accepted language tests for English or French.
- High school diploma or higher educational degree or diploma.
- Work experience of at least 6 months with NOC skill level C or D.
- The job must be full-time with an indeterminate position.
Yukon Business Nominee
Entrepreneurs and businessmen seeking investment opportunities for start-ups or acquiring existing businesses can make use of this stream for Yukon immigration after meeting the necessary requirements.
The YNP business stream is for all the businessmen and entrepreneurs looking to invest, start-up or acquire an existing business in the territory.
- The applicant must have a strong desire to own and run their own business in the territory.
- CLB of 4 in any of the accepted language proficiency tests in English or French.
- High school diploma or higher level of education required.
- The individual must have at least 5 years of experience in business management and/or ownership.
- Proof of sufficient funds with net worth of CAD$500,000 and investment of CAD$ 300,000.
- Must have thorough knowledge of Yukon job market.
- A score of at least 65 points on the Yukon Business Nominee points Assessment Grid.
- Must invest or startup in only the eligible sectors of the territory.
Yukon Community Pilot
This is a relatively new stream specifically generated to meet the raising needs of the labor market and economy of Yukon. Those who qualify are granted a location-restricted 2-year open work permit.
This is a new stream added to the YNP to address the rising need of foreign nationals to fill up the labor gaps and boost the territory’s economy.
- 2 to 3 valid job offers within the same participating community of Yukon.
- All the jobs should add up to be the equivalent of a full time job with minimum 30 hours a week.
- Consistent and regular annual salary structure with a wage that meets or exceeds the minimum wage of Canada.
- Enough experience to prove your skills and worth in the particular sector and job description.
- Government of Yukon’s signed letter of support.
- Must meet all the work permit requirements of the country.
Why Consider the YNP?
The abundant natural resources of Yukon call out to skilled workers and investors, offering a multitude of opportunities as you settle down amidst the spellbinding wilderness and a warm, diverse and inclusive community. It offers an enriched quality of life without having to keep up with the fast paced and cut throat competition of urbanized cities. YNP fast tracks your immigration process, giving you permanent residency easily and swiftly.
YNP Application: Frequently Asked Questions
The processing time for Yukon PNP is around 8 to 10 weeks.
The applicant must achieve a minimum of 65 points on the Nominee Assessment Grid, along with a minimum of 10 points for language skills. Check your immigration opportunity with the Canadian visa eligibility calculator
It usually takes up to 6 months to get PR after immigrating to Canada through one of the YNP streams.
Yes, applicants can apply for Yukon express entry to accelerate their federal express entry process and secure a guaranteed ITA in the express entry draw.
The only YNP stream that doesn’t require a job offer is the Yukon Business Nominee Program.